Sunday, December 07, 2008

Today is Pearl Harbor Day

Dec 7, 1941. A day that forever changed the world. Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese.

My uncle was there, aboard the USS Maryland. As I understand it, the Oregon was supposed to have the inside berth, but the Maryland arrived first. So, the Oregon took the hits that would have otherwise befallen the Maryland.

Not too long ago, as I was looking around eBay, I found a picture of the sailors from the Maryland rescuing the sailors of the capsized Oregon. I bought it, framed it, and gave it to my father.

Fortunately for the family, my uncle survived the attack on Pearl Harbor and went on to live a long life. He is deceased now, but those who knew him have not forgotten his service to his fellow sailors.

To all the veterans of Pearl Harbor who remain, and to the families of those who did not return: Thank you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

John MaCain was not born in the US technically either you Genius

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home